Pages

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 1, 2020

March 2020 Portfolio Review


Overview
S&P 500 Index Fund -22.65%
Straits Times Index Fund -25.21%
Tracker Fund of Hong Kong -18.39%
My Portfolio -16.37%

Transactions
With some luck, I managed to convince my mum to invest a modest sum of money with me, after the markets has plunged to probably 5 years low. As of March, I have purchase up to about 50% of the capital, namely on:
-Straits Times Index Fund
-Perfect Shape Medical. It was suppose to be for my portfolio, but as there is already a modest appreciation in capital, I decided to gift it to my mum instead.
-Genting Singapore
-Southwest Airlines 

For my own portfolio, there were a lot of buying and very little selling. Let's start with the sells.
-Sold down a huge chunk of LHT, with the intention to raise cash for Perfect Shape Medical.
-While I have mentioned it earlier, I have redeem all my Singapore Saving Bonds. This raise a small amount of capital for purchase in equities. I do not believe in buying bonds if you have a realistic chance of living another 20 years.

-bought a significant amount of TTJ Holdings.
The year to date fall of TTJ is a staggering 38.3%. Note the increase volume in the last three days of trading. This suggest to me that someone is dumping a huge amount of shares.

TTJ is starting to look very cheap, although it is not a dream business of any sort. It has about 0.099 cash per share deducting non-interest bearing liabilities. The boss owns a huge amount of shares... and we are now at its all time lows.

-bought a small amount of ChangShouHua
It is just another net-nets stock. Unfortunately, the latest result announcement indicate that in view of the virus and business expansion, there will be no dividend paid. A real bummer.
ChangShouHua, dropped 9% today but iliquidity brought it to a 1% decline.


-bought a respectable amount of Xinghua Port Holdings
Results are actually better compared to last year-- the port business should be pretty resilient to the disease. Pulp and paper cargo handling did increase a little. Debt is pared down slightly and management is still shareholder friendly...
Dividend yield is now a decent 6+%. I think I can trust the folks running the show. Unfortunately, I am still holding on to a significant paper loss to this stock.


It couldn't be helped since the stock has fallen 29% YTD. It is not the most comfortable stock to hold but I am pretty sure my money is in the right hands.

Overall, I am currently holding 14 stocks. 4 of them are down more than 30% even after taking into account of dividends-- that is how bad this year is for me... and we are only 3 months into this year.

The 4 -30s club are:
  • SUTL (-39.22%)
  • TTJ (-35.06%
  • Mapletree NAC (-30)
  • Colex (-32)
I am not too concern with Mapletree NAC and Colex as they are relatively small holdings, but SUTL & TTJ is about 25% of my total portfolio... not a nice feeling.

Enduring is part of value investing. Michael Burry used to say that he will always cut at 15% loss. Looking at it now, good move Dr Burry.

There are stocks that did okay in my portfolio, and they are all stocks that have relatively high dividends and respectable valuation to their earning power. Some out there might call them "good companies." Cheap-by-assets stocks get no mercy from the market these days, and I agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Year Passed (OKP AGM 2023)

It felt like just months ago that I attended OKP's 2022 Annual General Meeting (AGM), and yesterday, I attended 2023's. I remember w...