Pages

Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

The Portfolio Gone a Little Crazy

My portfolio continues to astonish me since two weeks ago, giving me gains that surpass the STI for the first time (3%) in as long as 1 year 10 months. Much of it had to do with advances in Wee Hur, BBR, Chuan Hup, Samudera and some recovery with Innotek, Mermaid Maritime and Comfortdelgro (which I continue to be modestly hopeful for).

TBH, I have expected results to remain poor this year, given that I hold some ugly (and more importantly, safe) stocks.

It is every active investor's wish to beat a passively-managed instrument like the index. 2 years down the road, I never expected this task to be so difficult. I hope to remain steadfast in investing by value. Hopefully I will continue to view stock picking as an intellectual exercise (and one of emotional control) because I have seen many people around me being blinded by profits. I remain doubtful that I am right unless a stock gives me at least a 20% return; and a portfolio, compared to the index over a long period of time (3-5 years at least).

There are more than a couple of stocks which ascent I missed. They belonged to the "not sure" pile which I convenient forgot after some time. Hock Lian Seng, whose sky-rocket after special dividends were announced. Chew's Group, which I thought was cheap based on solely PE, but have a huge capex in the near future due to relocation. I would have got almost 100% return, but I still think the Market doesn't know what it is doing. GP Batteries, which is quite a safe arbitrage, sneaked past quietly. I know many here had been richly rewarded by AEM, Best World and MM2 etc, but they are not my kind of stocks...

Guess I am only intrigued by "trash."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Apr 2024 Portfolio Update (Hong Kong Recovery, Cordlife Teaser)

Don't ask me why there is a shoe missing. Maybe it reflects a missed opportunity on Anta Sports.. Topics Discussed: -Recovery of Hong Ko...